9/16/15

When You Can't Say No (re-post)

This is a very good testimony/article on overcoming addictive over-eating from Teresa Shields Parker. It was originally published in Charisma Magazine.


Teresa once weighed 430 lbs. Here's how God set her free from an addiction that led to losing 260 lbs.
Teresa once weighed 430 lbs. Here's how God set her free from an addiction that led to losing 260 lbs. (iStockPhoto | ariwasabi)
Most do agree they have a strong need to regularly have sugar. It's just the "harmful" part they don't accept and the addiction label.
Risks of Obesity
Yet, sugar is a major cause of obesity and the obese are at risk for a large number of diseases including: diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer, stroke, gallbladder and liver diseases, gynecological problems such as infertility, respiratory problems, sleep apnea and colon, breast and endometrial cancers, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Not only that, for many it has become an addiction. Using sugar has become a strong, harmful, regular, urgent, overwhelming desire.
Truth
I had not heard about sugar addiction when God pulled back my curtain hiding the truth. However, I knew I was as soon as I heard a 30-year sober alcohol say, "Alcohol is one molecule away from sugar. Alcohol is liquid sugar."
I asked the question. "Can a person be addicted to sugar like others are addicted to alcohol or drugs?" His answer was, "You can be addicted to anything that controls you."
Sugar controlled me. I knew it.
That night I literally grieved thinking about giving up sugar, but I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt it was what I had to do.
I handed my desire for sugar to God. I surrendered it. I laid it on the altar.
I cried out, "God I give up, but I can't walk this journey on my own. I need You. I need Your strength. On my own I am weak. I will give in if you don't nudge me. In my moments of weakness, will you remind me? I need Your grace. I need Your power. I want to be free."
For the first time, I meant it.
Freedom
Today, I have lost 260 pounds only by the grace-power of God. It is for freedom that Christ has set me free. So I will stand firm and not let myself be entangled again by a yoke of bondage.1
Here is the truth, if God and I can do it, you and God can do it. God can do anything, you know.2
His grace is enough. It's all you need. His power is made complete in your weakness.3
Oh, and the word no? I've learned to say, "No," for my health and sweet freedom.
Galatians 5:1
Epheisans 3:20
32 Corinthians 12:9
Many ask me advice about weight loss. I've developed a myriad of resources available on my website under the free and the products tabs. But by far the best resource isSweet Change Weight Loss Coaching and Accountability Group. I developed this group to help those just like I was, who need someone who understands the difficulties of extreme weight, someone to coach them through the process, someone who understands this journey is not just about what you eat and how you move, it's also about why you eat and why you don't move.
We are tri-part beings. We are a spirit, a soul and a body. Our parts are dependent upon each other. Although the problem may appear in your body, it is also related to your mind, emotions, will and spirit. We don't shy away from the tough realities. We have to change. It's part of the process. Change starts inside and moves to the outside. Weight loss is the by-product of total transformation.
Teresa Shields Parker is a wife, mother, business owner, life group leader, speaker and author of Sweet Grace: How I Lost 250 Pounds and Stopped Trying to Earn God's Favor and Sweet Grace Study Guide: Practical Steps to Lose Weight and Overcome Sugar Addiction. Get a free chapter of her memoir on her blog at teresashieldsparker.com. Connect with her there or on her Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Please leave me a message, share your testimony, or feel free to ask questions. Anonymous comments are welcome. Or e-mail me privately at marie4thtimemom@yahoo.com.